The Optometrists at the Lancashire Eye Centre work alongside a number of specialities and across our hospital sites to provide a range of services to patients.
- Refraction – sight testing
- Dispensing – provision of spectacles and specialist frames. Prescription and provision of specialist and therapeutic contact lenses for the conditions of the eye when contact lenses are clinically necessary.
- Low vision rehabilitation for adults and children
- Glaucoma assessment clinic for new and follow up cases of glaucoma and related diseases
- Optometric assessment clinic for new referrals
- Acute services – optometrists work alongside Emergency Eye Department team
- Corneal clinic co-management – optometrists work in consultant led specialist corneal clinics
- Cataract co-management – assessing patients before and after surgery
- Macula assessment clinics – looking at problems with the macula, the area surrounding the central part of the retina, at the back of the eye.
- Complex biometry – taking measurements of the eye, a procedure usually required before cataract surgery.
- Diagnostic ultrasound – to provide detailed images of the eye structure
- Community services – providing support to the community orthoptic team