Each year, Down Syndrome International invites everyone across the world to wear odd socks to support World Down Syndrome Day.
The date is the 21st day of the 3rd month to signify the uniqueness of the triplication of the 21st chromosome which causes Down Syndrome.
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is supporting the campaign to help raise awareness locally.
We are encouraging all staff, patients, friends, and family to wear their odd, vibrant and colourful socks on Sunday 21st March and use the #LotsofSocks and tag @LancsHospitals.
Across Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation we believe that healthcare services should respond to the diverse requirements of everyone in our local community and our newly established Mental Health, Learning Disabilities, Autism and Dementia Team continue to focus on service developments to guide the delivery of excellent care for patients with a diagnosis or recognised support need.
Our specialist practitioner supports patients with Learning Disabilities and/or Autism by advocating and empowering individuals to make their own informed decisions about their healthcare.
Their role includes:
- Supporting departments to make reasonable adjustments and planning for scheduled admissions or outpatients appointments
- Supporting patients and their families/carer’s to support a positive experience when attending Lancashire Teaching Hospitals.
- Creating and updating hospital passports so that patients can easily communicate their likes, dislikes, and important information which will inform individualised care.
- Working with wards and departments and our patients to create easy read information, picture stories, and other communication tools to support people with Learning Disabilities and/or Autism to fully understand their health care options.
- Working together with patients who have Learning Disabilities and/or Autism to make improvements to our hospital and its services.
- Supporting the implementation of training for our staff team and supporting the Learning Disability Champion role across our hospital departments.
- Promoting health and wellbeing specific to individuals with Learning Disabilities and/or Autism through open day events such as Our Health Day.
Patients can access the Learning Disability, Autism, Mental Health and Dementia Team
By calling 01772 523676 or via email LearningDisabilityServiceLTH@LTHTR.nhs.uk
NB: Photos were taken before the Covid-19 pandemic.
Further help and support: