Acute medicine - Therapy services
The acute medical therapy team is made up of of occupational therapists (OT),physiotherapists, and integrated therapy assistants.
Our team provides an integrated therapy service to all the acute medical wards, inclusive of cardiology, care of the elderly, respiratory, gastroenterology, and the regional renal unit. All patients deemed appropriate by the multidisciplinary team (MDT), are referred for the appropriate specialist therapy assessment. Patients may be seen jointly by an OT and physiotherapist or by just one discipline, depending on their needs.
The types of specialist assessments that we cover include
- Functional mobility and transfers
- Activities of daily living (ADL)
- Cognition (eg attention, memory and concentration)
- Mood (anxiety and low mood)
- Chest / breathing problems
- Feeding & nutrition
- Seating, posture and pressure care needs
Our interventions may include
- Education and advice for acute and long term condition and symptom management
- Brief interventions
- Issuing of equipment for home to improve independence and safety
- Onward referrals for relevant specialist intervention
- Referrals for specialist rehabilitation
- Signposting for community services
- Carer support
Our philosophy is holistic, client centred care. We work with our patients to help them achieve the maximum level of independence possible, and realise a timely and safe discharge from hospital.