Job Title: Consultant Colorectal Surgeon
Department: General Surgery, Upper GI & Colorectal
Telephone Number: 01772 521314
Primary Medical Qualification: MBChB (Hons) (2003)
Other qualifications: BSc (Hons) (2000), MD (2015), FRCS (2015)
Year of Registration: 2003
GMC Number: 6072914
Mr Barrow graduated from Manchester Medical School in 2003 with MBChB (Hons) and an intercalated BSc (Hons) in anatomical sciences. He undertook basic surgical training at Manchester Royal Infirmary and spent 6 months working as a Demonstrator in Anatomy at the University of Manchester.
In 2008, Mr Barrow began higher surgical training as a Specialist Registrar in General Surgery in the North Western deanery. From 2011 to 2013, he took two years out of training to conduct full time research into the genetic basis of colorectal cancer, inherited colorectal cancer syndromes (Lynch syndrome and familial adenomatous polyposis) and colorectal screening at the Manchester Centre for Genomic Medicine. His research received the British Journal of Surgery prize at the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland in 2013 and he was awarded Doctor of Medicine in 2015, with over 20 regional and national presentations and publication of five peer -reviewed papers. He went on to complete higher surgical training in colorectal surgery and was awarded the Certificate of Completion of Training in July 2016.
Mr Barrow then undertook an 8 month fellowship in laparoscopic colorectal surgery at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary Laparoscopic Training Unit which afforded high-volume training in keyhole bowel cancer surgery and was appointed as Consultant Colorectal and General Surgeon at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS trust in April 2017.
- Colorectal cancer
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Inherited colorectal cancer
- Ileoanal pouch reconstruction
- Laparoscopic Surgery
Education and Training:
- Medical Education Fellowship, North Western Deanery (2009-2011)
- PGCE Workplace-based medical education (2011)
- Current clinical supervisor for surgical trainees.
- Undergraduate teaching (Year 3 firm lead)
- Faculty on FRCS Alpine Course
- RCSEng Cadaveric Surgcial Skills Course
- Advanced Trauma Life Support Instructor
- Awarded Doctor Of Medicine (MD) in 2015
- Steering Group Member Packing of Perianal Abscess Cavity (PPAC) multicentre feasibility trial (North West Research Collaborative and Liverpool Clinical Trials Unit).
- Current PI on National clinical trial (HiP study)