How To Make A Complaint

Although we work hard to offer high standards of service and care, things can sometimes go wrong.  Should this happen, we will do all that we can to put things right for you and to make sure that the same thing does not happen again.  We take all complaints very seriously and will look into each matter.  We will then respond to you as quickly as possible.

We review all complaints and issues that are raised to PALS, and monitor patient feedback websites such as NHS Choices to identify and address problems.  We also ask both inpatients and outpatients to complete patient satisfaction surveys on our hand held opinion tracker devices, and have recently introduced the Department of Health’s Friends and Family Test.

We produce a patient experience report that summarises how many complaints and compliments we have received, and what action we are taking to make improvements, in the board report every quarter.

If you have a concern about the care you have received, it is better to try and sort it out straight away.  If you are an in-patient or visiting an in-patient, the best person to talk to is the Consultant or one of their team, the Ward Manager or Matron or the nurse in charge at the time.  If you are an outpatient you can ask the staff at any reception area to put you in touch with a senior member of staff you can talk to.

You can also talk to the hospital’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), which provides support to patients, their families and visitors. Please click on this link for further information  about PALS  Advice and Liaison Service

Hopefully, in most cases, we will be able to sort out your concerns very quickly.  However, if you are not satisfied with the response that you receive, you can make a complaint in writing.

If you are not able to put your complaint in writing, please contact the Customer Care Department on 01772 522521 and we will assist you to make your complaint.

Please note the email address for the PALS and Customer Care Department is now

There is also a form on our Contact us page which can be used for complaints, compliments and comments.

Formal complaint contact details

If you wish to make a formal complaint, your letter should be addressed to the Chief Executive of Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust at the following address:

Royal Preston Hospital
Sharoe Green Lane

For information on how to make a complaint or give a compliment please see this booklet 
Customer Complaints [pdf] 253KB

You can also contact Healthwatch Lancashire which is the independent consumer champion for health and social care services in Lancashire.

Advocacy services

What do we do?

The service operates across the Lancashire County Council area and provides free, independent, confidential support to adults who are vulnerable or disadvantaged and where the person feels they need advocacy support to resolve their health and social care issues. Advocacy is a way of supporting people to empower them to have their voice heard and their views and wishes made known to others. Advocates work with you to ensure you are treated fairly and have your rights upheld and respected in regards to your health (including mental health) and social care needs in areas such as:

•Accessing social services and getting a social worker.

•Making changes to your health and social care services because you are unhappy.

•Helping you through Social Care Assessments.

•Preparing for medical appointments.

•Helping you talk to professionals regarding health and social care needs.

•Support you to get your views heard with the Community Mental Health Team.

•Attend meetings regarding your health and social care and putting across your views.

•Support you to be involved in your Care Programme Approach (CPA) meeting (not including people who have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act).

•Discussing your options on discharge from hospital.

•Making a formal complaint regarding a medical or social care professional.


Single point of contact leaflet[pdf] 155KB

Children & young people advocacy [pdf] 707KB


If you wish to contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, your letter should be addressed to the following address:

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Alternatively they can be reached at:

Complaints Helpline Tel: 0345 015 4033