Chorley and South Ribble Hospital
Prior to 1893 Chorley, like any other Lancashire industrial town, had its own dispensary. It was here that local residents obtained medical advice and drugs, although treatment was always at home, by family members.
In 1892, Alderman Henry Rawcliffe met with the Board of Directors of the dispensary, and his proposal to build a cottage hospital in Chorley was put to a vote. 32 votes were cast in favour of the cottage hospital, whilst 52 votes were against. Rawcliffe’s revised proposal to incorporate the dispensary in the cottage hospital was accepted, and Chorley Hospital opened on 9 September 1893.
The foundation stone of an additional section, the Winstanley Wing, was laid in August 1899 and officially opened on 19 September 1900.
During the 1920s, the demand for hospital facilities increased. Proposals were considered to extend the present facilities, but the estimated cost of £46,000 was considered too expensive. The committee decided to build a new hospital.
Land was purchased, and Bolton architects Bradshaw, Gass and Hope began work to build the new hospital in 1931. The ceremony for the laying of the foundation stone took place on 11 June 1932 and on 2 September 1933, 47 years after the opening of the first Chorley Hospital, Chorley and District Hospital was formally opened.
A new 'Accident and Emergency Unit' was opened on 27 December 1957.
Further plans and proposals for an extension to Chorley Hospital were submitted in December 1962. In 1976 the new Psycho-Geriatric Unit and X-Ray Department were completed.
In September 1976 a decision was made to close the Childrens Ward, however after a public campaign that involved a visit from the leader of the opposition, Margaret Thatcher, it was confirmed in 1979 the ward would remain open, but would provide care for older children who did not require paediatric specialist services. The Childrens Ward closed in 1984, and was converted to a Day Care Unit.
A new 'Casualty Department and Elderly Medicine Unit' opened in 1989.
On 31 March 1992 the first sod was cut to start the building of a significant extension, and the hospital achieved Trust status in 1993. HRH Princess Anne officially opened Chorley and South Ribble District General Hospital on 28 April 1997.
On 1 August 2002 Chorley and South Ribble NHS Trust and Preston Acute Hospitals NHS Trust merged to form Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, and became a foundation trust in 2005.
video courtesy of RoundAboutChorley